And Now For Something Completely Similar !!!

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 11:28:33 EDT 1999

In article <7qlud1$fje at news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>, Markus Fleck
<fleck at informatik.uni-bonn.de> writes
>Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
>>> That one, I'd have to agree with.  I think that NumPy arrays and
>>> ufuncs should become core datatypes.  They're just too useful.
>> Yeah...  This is actually in my plans for Python 1.6 (although I
>> haven't started working on it honestly).
>
>Which brings us back to Python's recently rediscovered motto,
>"Python comes with batteries included!" :-)

Is it really required to put all extensions into one lump. I find it a
bother to have to download huge files some of which I don't use. The
problem of course is that certain extensions are commonly used by some
and not by others. I look at the python build and want to take most of
the built in modules out and make them dlls. Then at least I could
reduce the footprint. It also annoys me that many of the extension
compilers assume that zlib, gd or whatever should be statically linked
into their dll so we end up with more than one copy of that code
running. The tcl'ers are having the same kind of problem ie build it in
or make an extension. Surely numpy belongs as an extension. I use it a
lot, but I don't need multi-arrays  built in.
--
Robin Becker