Feast or famine! - Anyone read or dealt with Wrox Press?

Robert Meegan rmeegan at murl.com
Tue Sep 14 17:38:19 EDT 1999

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Alexander Staubo wrote:

[ a recommendation for Wrox books, which is hereby seconded]

> Their books are generally excellent. Although it's difficult not to
> speak broadly here, I personally put them on par with Addison-Wesley and
> O'Reilly (as opposed to, say, Que or Microsoft Press or any of the other
> "Learn Gork in 21 Days!" houses, whose books I would really hesitate to
> buy) in terms of respectability.

As a co-author of three of Que's "Special Edition Using" books, I must
completely agree. Que and Sybex have the avowed goal of publishing the
thickest possible book in the shortest possible timeframe. Brevity,
clarity, and accuracy are sacrificed to meet these ends. Most of these
books are published against alpha versions of the product which leads to
weird errors and funky screenshots.

The thought of a "Using Python Special Edition" book *is* rather amusing.
I can envision eight hundred pages, each with a screenshot of the python
interpreter in action and a CD containing demo versions of every C++
compiler and text editor on the market.

Your most apologetic servant,

Robert Meegan

Murl.com -
Because it's not just your data, it's your life.