language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Moshe Zadka moshez at server.python.net
Fri Sep 3 09:01:06 EDT 1999

OK, this thread is silly, but just to note the silliness to an enormous
degree, I will now to forward the idea that C is no more compiled then a
Python (source), with a trivial C wrapper, which does a
"PyRun_SimpleString", and embeds the source into the application.

How is that?
Well, given that the Python code needs all those Python library: but so
does C. On my linux system, it will need /lib/libc.so.6, /lib/libm.so.6,
etc. (On Windows (AKA DLL Hell) it needs things like msvcrt.dll or
emx.dll)

That given, I'm now going to write the first Python compiler: take a
source, escape it for a C string, and wrap the whole thing with a
minimaized version of pythonrun.c

That should take me, oh, 5 minutes.

now-I'm-going-to-write-a-Python-in-Python-ly y'rs, Z.