language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Ian Clarke I.Clarke at strs.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 06:49:19 EDT 1999

I did say that I didn't want to get into a debate on the definition of
an "interpreted" language, but I am feeling argumentative...

> So does Python. In fact, the only "technical" difference between Python
> and Java is that the Python compiler is distributed in the same program as
> the Python byte-interpreter, whereas in Java these are "usually" seperate
> programs.

I don't think the issue of "interpreted" languages is one that stands up
to much scrutiny in technical terms anyway (it is open to questions such
as "does C suddenly become interpreted if the compiled code it generates
is run on an emulator?").  However, what you dismiss as mere "social"
differences are still significant.  Python code is almost always
distributed in source form, the interface presented to the user is one
where the Python interpreter takes Python source and runs it.  The fact
that it has a facility to store semi-parsed code for efficiency doesn't
really matter to the end user.  Java code is almost always distributed
in byte-code form, which has been created by a compiler.  To Joe
programmer there is a big difference between Java and Python, even if
this difference is more to do with convention than technical detail.

> In short, social conventions are all that ake Python interpreted and Java
> compiled. social conventions have a habit of changing.

You are very quick to dismiss the power of social convention.  I would
say that social conventions can often be much more robust than technical
conventions.  The wide usage of MS Windows, for example, is a social
convention (it certainly has dubious technical merit).  Does the fact
that this is social rather than technical mean that it is not relevant?
Of course not.  Similarly, the differences in usage between Pyhton and
Java (which most people would perceive to be as a result of Python being
"interpreted" and Java "compiled") are still just as relevant even
though these differences are primarily due to "social convention" rather
than technical issues.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                 "A subversive is anyone
I.Clarke at strs.co.uk         who can out-argue