language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Ian Clarke I.Clarke at strs.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 05:24:01 EDT 1999

> I think Java can compete in popularity with Perl. And Java's (usually)
> interpreted.

I did consider Java, however the Java source code is not interpreted
directly, it is compiled to Java byte code.  Ok, so right now most Java
byte code is interpreted, but hopefully in the future dedicated chips
will be available.  I am aware that Python code is also compiled to an
intermediate byte-code, however (so far as I know) the compiled bytecode
is rarely distributed without the companion source.  Whether Java (as a
whole) is an interpreted or compiled language is something that could be
debated by people with more free time than me. I personally consider it
to be a compiled language, as it requires a compiler.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                 "A subversive is anyone
I.Clarke at strs.co.uk         who can out-argue