re vs. sgmllib (was Re: Moving from Perl to Python)

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Sun Sep 26 14:44:53 EDT 1999

    Aahz> Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
    >> Regexps are not Python's forte, and all of speed, clarity and
    >> maintainability will increase in proportion to your zeal in purging
    >> them.

    Aahz> That sounds like a Call To Action for rewriting sgmllib to use
    Aahz> something other than re.  Has anyone started any work in this
    Aahz> area?

I think a more profitable direction is to look at the mad scientist's sgmlop
extension module:

    http://www.pythonware.com/madscientist/

It comes with suitably modified versions of the xmllib and sgmllib modules.

I'd like to see them incorporated into the Python distribution if possible,
depending upon what the XML sig is doing.  (They have their own
distribution.  I'm not sure what's included in it.)

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...