Turing Compliant?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sun Sep 26 09:51:52 EDT 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Bryan VanDeVen wrote:
>
> > Gordon McMillan wrote:
> > > Well there's biological computation, in which each fork() grows it's
> > > own "CPU", thus making some formerly non-computable problems
> > > computable.
> >
> > I have heard of some experiments with biological computing - most
> > taking advantange of the much higher information density that can be
> > achieved using DNA, for instance, but I am very skeptical of the claim
> > that this adds something fundamentally new.  Any pointers to a proof?
>
> No experiments, just theory. Grow a new "cell" for each
> decomposition of the problem. With a bit of overhead, you're getting
> close to solving problems of exponential complexity in linear time.

I'm pretty sure I read about some actual experiments in bio-computing in
The Economist.  True, this is not exactly Nature, but they are pretty
reliable for combing the major peer-reviewed journals and exctracting
interesting and accurate material.

I don't keep back-issues of The Economist, but I do remember that there
was some twist to the sorts of DNA with which they'd had success,
Mitochondrial, or perhaps messenger-RNA?

But then again, I have only had a sip of the Pierian, so I'm dangerous.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants