Print/Input statements

tre17 at student.canterbury.ac.nz tre17 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 21 20:46:35 EDT 1999

Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill at dur.ac.uk> writes:

[slightly misunderstood version snipped]

> OK, a more obvious example (sorry!):
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
> import sys
> print "I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition\n>",
> x=sys.stdin.readline()
> print "Nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition!"
>
> The "Nobody" has a space in front of it.
>
> When I replace the print statement with:
>   sys.stdout.write("doodah\n>")
> the Nobody loses its annoying space.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Andrew.

Well, you could always use raw_input to print your prompt, instead of
print:

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
print "I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition"
x = raw_input(">")
print "Nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition!"

If you also add `import readline' to the script (if readline is
available) then you get command editing and history.

--
Tim Evans