ANN: Tk Slashdot Headline Viewer

Lewis Doug at news.vex.net
Mon Sep 13 01:19:05 EDT 1999

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:31:52 GMT, srenner at lycosmail.com wrote:

>It works! Although I'm not sure what it's for -- why not just read
>Slashdot directly?

Admittedly it's probably of little practical value. It was really a project for
me to play with while learning Tkinter. Although on the other hand, it can be
nice to have a little window open (which is not a browser window) which
monitors the slashdot headlines and regularly checks for updates... just in
case soemthing interesting comes along. Also my little monitor is much more
concise in its listing than the web page which you have to actually scroll down
(gasp!) to see all the stories. Heh.

>Would you consider modifying IDLE's class browser into a folding
>code editor?

Don't ask me! I still can't figure out how the heck to even change
the normal text background in IDLE! Hehe. Which is why i never use it...
it blinds me with its black and whiteness... alas.

I have heard newer versions have a config file now, which may or may
not have such settings... however it's only available on the CSV... a
trick i haven't learned to access yet.

I'm just a small time hobby hacker who doesn't really have any sort
of clue what he's doing most of the time after all. (-: