Dialect, A Python derived environment (and language ?)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 25 21:21:56 EDT 1999

[Tim, notes that the Dialect IDE
    http://www.aristar.com/DeveloperTools.html
 makes a 685Kb executable out of the 21-byte Dialect program
    print "Hello world"
]

[Gordon McMillan]
> Gee, just ran your app thru Installer. For the exe that's
> Run+CArchive([HelloWorld.py]) it comes out to 24K. For the
> one that's got python15.dll etc. built-in, it's still only 277K.

Bloating size by a mere factor of 13,507 is a killer advantage for sure
<wink>.  OTOH, all of Dialect's std libraries (primarily GUI, files, sockets
and some Windowsisms) are included in the Dialect exe, so e.g. there's no
significant additional size penalty for a "Hello world" that instead pops up
a dialog box with a button or two.  If they bother to compress anything
(doesn't look like they do now), the difference between 685 and 277 won't
last.

Now if a Dialect *fan* were to post here, I'd say they'd say this misses the
point entirely.  The point for them is that *making* the .exe is a
no-brainer:  select File -> Make EXE in the IDE, then click "Make Now" after
confirming that the IDE guessed reasonable answers to the four questions it
asks in the box that pops up (name of main module, which directory it lives
in, path to Dialect interpreter, and output exe name).  It was so easy, even
I managed to do it the first time.

every-language-on-earth-does-*something*-better-than-python-ly
    y'rs  - tim