V - GUIDO !!! was Re: Pirate -> RAD

David Oppenheimer davidopp at megsinet.net
Sun Sep 5 00:27:33 EDT 1999

I have an idea for creating a  WYSIWYG  GUI builder for Python that will allow you
to create slick looking GUI's just by dragging and dropping elements into a visual
design space that will output code into wxPython.  After a user was satisfied with
the appearance of the GUI, the program would output the code into wxPython code
which would be seamlessly integrated with the code that had already been written
inside of a design space (make it so that it would work flawlessly as either a
component of the major IDE's including PythonWin, IDLE, Python in a DOS box or
have it callable from a command line).  It will also be able to take written code
and show a preview of what your GUI would look like without having to first save
the program and run it thru the Python interpreter.  This would allow you to
instantly see the effect of changes made to your code. It would be awesome to
integrate it seamlessly with the PythonWin IDE and also be callable from the
command line in IDLE or Python in a DOS box.

If you would like to join with me in this creative endeavor (code name V - GUIDO
which stands for Visual Graphical User Interface Development Optimizer), I would
be happy to share the details with you.

Sincerely,

David Oppenheimer

P.S. This is still just in the brainstorming stage right now.  I am doing
conceptual planning right now; features, how it should look, how it should act,
etc.  I would ask anyone who is serious about doing such a project to join forces
with me and see if we can make something happen.