Python, FastCGI and FreeBSD

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 11:55:42 EDT 1999

henk_p at my-deja.com:
 |I am experiencing this strange problem with a Python script running as a
 |fastCGI application under FreeBSD 3.2.  For some reason when the fastcgi
 |process manager in Apache starts the script, it (or the Python
 |interpreter) immediately crashes. It does not matter what the script
 |contains, it always crashes upon initialization.  ('Uncaught signal 11,
 |Segmentation Fault' as it says in the apache error log)

Hard to say.  I've not seen this with the Python 1.5.2 package running on
FreeBSD 3.2, though I've not run Python underneath a web server -- only in
the background and interactive.

Try adding "-v" to the Python invocation for the script.  For example, if
the first line is of the form '#!.....python', change it to
'#!/usr/local/bin/python -v'.  This may give you an idea what it's in the
process of doing when it SEGVs (loading a corrupted shared library, etc.).

Randall