threads on Solaris

Mitch Chapman chapman at bioreason.com
Wed Sep 1 10:58:14 EDT 1999

David Arnold wrote:

> -->"Ted" == Ted Horst <Ted.Horst at wdr.com> writes:
>
>   Ted> Does anyone know why I get 4 threads when I start the
>   Ted> interpreter under Solaris (as reported by /bin/ps -aL) ?
>
>   Ted> This is python 1.5.2 built with a SUNPro compiler (sorry, I
>   Ted> don't have the config options).
>
> i see the same behaviour, also SUNPro, but i *know* mine is configured
> with the thread module enabled, which i imagine has something to do
> with it?

Yes.  Multithreaded C apps also display this behavior.  I don't
develop on Solaris any more, so take this with a grain of salt, but:
There's a main thread, a thread for catching signals, and (I think)
a reaper thread which finalizes exited threads.  And of course
any threads your application explicitly creates.

I can't remember the conditions under which you get the reaper thread.
I think it's either when you *do* have daemon threads (threads on
which you don't intend to wait) or when you don't :)

--
Mitch Chapman
chapman at bioreason.com