Marking translatable strings

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Sep 16 17:07:18 EDT 1999

    BH> If you're careful to only use double-quoted strings inside of
    BH> _(), you can even use xgettext to build the initial
    BH> po-files. xgettext will likely complain about lots of invalid
    BH> character constants and strings if you have single- and
    BH> triple-quoted strings in your source, but otherwise it works
    BH> quite well.

This is exactly what my pygettext.py script is for.  It understands
Python syntax and all the ways to spell a string.  You'd use it
instead of xgettext to generate the .po files, then stuff like the GNU
gettext tools and Martin's intl module from there.

    http://www.python.org/~bwarsaw/software/Code/pytgettext.py

-Barry