Python at work

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Tue Sep 21 14:29:42 EDT 1999

Greg Copeland wrote:

> I'm a consultant and currently wanting to use Python and wxPython
> on a Win32 platform (Win95 more than likely).  The plan is to use
> this as a client interface to an Access97 database (thus the need
> for ODBC).  I have created a simple Access database and tried a
> couple of SQL queries against it from Python.  Things do seem to
> work.  Now, having said that, are there any glaring issues that
> I'm missing.  I certainly don't want to offer this solution to my
> client only to have it blow up in my face because of some obtuse
> issue; especially if it's currently well known. In short, does
> the above sound like reliable combination?  Are there any issues
> that should raise a flag or cause alarm?

If you are planning on having the DB open by multiple users,
get off of Access and onto a real DB (Access is not a server -
Sybase's SQLAnywhere will kick it's butt). Also use Marc-
Andre Lemburg's mxODBC module for ODBC (take the
Starship link off python.org and look for him in the Crew
Quarters), because it's a good deal more sophisticated.

If it's all on one desktop, use whatever feels best! (Most of
mxODBC's advanced features will be lost on Access).

- Gordon