Python interface to Groupwise mailoxes?

Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa warren at nightwares.com
Tue Sep 7 20:47:13 EDT 1999

"S. Blakey" wrote:

> Even some good documentation of Novell's proprietary crap would
> appreciated.

That's the problem. Novell's way of doing things is, well, Novell's.
I've tried to hack into my GroupWise box at work using non-Novell tools,
in non-MS IDEs, and had nothing but grief.

However note that Novell *does* market a POP server which *in theory*
makes their G'Wise mailboxen available to any POP3 client. It's spendy
-- about US$1300 for a 50-seat license as I recall -- but it opens the
gateway, so to speak, and in large companies or companies with many
users on many OSen or many users travelling amortizes well.

I am still pushing hard at work for that implementation, as the current
scheme is intolerable (G'Wise client hoses NT4's networking, surprise.)

Don't know if they have a gateway for SMTP for sending stuff. Sigh.
Their site used to have lots of info like that available, but recently
they seem to have buried the relevant docs under a lot of noise, so it's
darn near impossible to find even the POP server, which in fact they
released under the aegis of being something like "Netscape mail server
for Novell", when you search their site. I found the POP server before
AOL sucked up Mozilla though, and that might be a factor too.

Short answer: If anyone has figured out Novell's server scheme for mail
I'd sure love to know about it, but I fear it has not been done yet. (Or
did I see a Red Hat install go by a while back which included a G'Wise
client?)

    warren ockrassa | nightwares | mailto:warren at nightwares.com
                    http://www.nightwares.com/