smtplib: subject? to?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:32:30 EDT 1999

Quoth Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com>:
| On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 02:07:34PM -0400, Moshe Zadka wrote:
| > SMTP expects an RFC-822 message, including a To: and Subject:. Python has
| > tools to parse rfc822, but not to write, so you will have to <gasp> read
| > the docs, and use .write() like regular folk <wink>
|
| But if I have to put a To: in the message, why do I have to give recipients?

Basically, one is for RFC822 and the other is for SMTP.  The SMTP service
actually delivers the mail, possibly to the same address as show in "To"
but at your discretion.  You may also add the address(es) shown in "Cc",
or addresses that appear nowhere in the header (``blind CC'').  It's
kind of a creepy system, but to my knowledge the SMTP service is not
expected to understand anything about the RFC822 data.

	donn at u.washington.edu