Python and Swig

Elie Naulleau Elie.Naulleau at westgroup.com
Thu Sep 23 14:02:22 EDT 1999

I am experiencing some linking problems.
I am using Python. I need to incorporate C functions
accessible from Python. To do this I am using swig (www.swig.org).
If I follow the steps advised by the documentation, everything is fine
till
the linking stage:

swig -python stemmer.i
OK
gcc -c stemmer.c stemmer_wrap.c -I/csr0/gnu/lib/python1.5/config
-I/csr0/gnu/include/python1.5/
OK
ld -shared stemmer.o stemmer_wrap.o -o stemmermodule.so
error

-shared in not recognized by Solaris linker, it is likely to be -d y
So I do it again:

ld -d y stemmer.o stemmer_wrap.o -o stemmermodule.so
Py_InitModule4                      stemmer_wrap.o
PyExc_TypeError                     stemmer_wrap.o
exit                                stemmer_wrap.o
tolower                             stemmer.o
malloc                              stemmer_wrap.o
sprintf                             stemmer_wrap.o
PyString_FromString                 stemmer_wrap.o
PyType_Type                         stemmer_wrap.o
.umul                               stemmer.o
.urem                               stemmer.o
.rem                                stemmer.o
Py_BuildValue                       stemmer_wrap.o
PyErr_Occurred                      stemmer_wrap.o
PyString_AsString                   stemmer_wrap.o
sscanf                              stemmer.o
PyModule_GetDict                    stemmer_wrap.o
qsort                               stemmer_wrap.o
fclose                              stemmer.o
_Py_NoneStruct                      stemmer_wrap.o
strncat                             stemmer_wrap.o
PyArg_ParseTuple                    stemmer_wrap.o
PyErr_SetString                     stemmer_wrap.o
strncmp                             stemmer_wrap.o
printf                              stemmer.o
__iob                               stemmer_wrap.o
PyDict_SetItemString                stemmer_wrap.o
realloc                             stemmer_wrap.o
free                                stemmer_wrap.o
strcmp                              stemmer.o
fgets                               stemmer.o
fopen                               stemmer.o
strcpy                              stemmer.o
PyInt_FromLong                      stemmer_wrap.o
strlen                              stemmer.o
PyExc_NameError                     stemmer_wrap.o
PyInt_AsLong                        stemmer_wrap.o
fprintf                             stemmer_wrap.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
stemmermodule.so

I running Solaris 2.5, gnu compiler, Sun solaris ld
Reading ld man page did not help. Neither compiling object files with
gcc -shared
Any help ?

Thanks

Elie Naulleau