Any good debuggers for Python? (was Re: using python debugger (pdb) inside emacs debugger mode ...)

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Sat Sep 18 14:52:20 EDT 1999

Ovidiu Predescu writes:

 > I would still like to have a pdb-mode for source files, similar
 > with gdb-mode

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you would like this mode to
do?  Do you mean being able to click on expressions in the source
buffer and print out their values, etc?  This might not be too hard to
add to pdb.el without needing any big modifications to pdb.py, in
particular I'm not sure that gdb annotations are required.  Or are you
talking about something else?

 > A better thing might be to have gdb support debugging Python programs, just
 > like it supports the other languages, but this is a different topic.

It's probably safe to say that this will never happen, support for
Python debugging would be just *too* different than the languages GDB
already supports.  But what would be good would be to have a Python
debugger that presents the identical interface as GDB, so that it
could be used in contexts where GDB is used (like XEmacs, and the
other various GUI front-ends to GDB that are out there).... This is
something I'd like to work on but quite honestly I haven't had the
time recently, possibly in a few months when I finish up some current
projects, I'll be able to get back to my "PyGDB" project.