running python on a floppy?

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Wed Sep 1 00:10:02 EDT 1999

Dennis Lee Bieber writes:

 > 	I have two SCSI externals, and my DELL came with an IDE
 > internal. The closest I have come to the "CoD" is sometimes having the
 > SCSI drive on my Amiga thunk when it first tries to register a disk,
 > with the disk being "unreadable". In all instances, ejecting the disk,
 > waiting a moment for everything to reset, and reinserting the disk has
 > worked.

It's fortunate for you that you've never experienced the "Click Of
Death".  But of course this kind of N=1 evidence doesn't prove much.
It's like saying "My grandfather smoked 10 cigars a day and he lived
to be 99".  That's great, but it doesn't disprove that smoking causes
cancer.  The Click Of Death is very real,  I've witnessed it on
several different machines, as have several other people of my
acquantance.

Isn't it funny that Iomega's new drive is called the "Clik"?  Couldn't
have picked a worse name, if you ask me.

floppies is still very much worth doing.  ZIP drives have nowhere near
the ubiquity of floppies.  It's a rare machine that doesn't have a
floppy drive.  ZIPs seemed, a few years back, to be growing in
popularity, but that trend seems to me to have slowed substantially -
partly, in my opinion, because CD writers have become so cheap, and
the cost per megabyte of ZIP media is too high, compared with CD
media.  And CD drives are much more prevalent than ZIPs.  Most
computers made in the last 5 years or so have a CD-Rom drive as part
of the "baseline" configuration, with ZIP as a extra-cost option.
Just my opinion, but I think ZIP disks are on the way out.  Iomega
stock certainly isn't worth what it used to be (last time I checked,
anyhow).