main thread idle handler?

Sean Hummel seanh at unforgettable.com
Wed Sep 8 19:31:35 EDT 1999

Hi, I am implementing a module as an interface to our interface written in
C.    The problem is that I need access to callbacks from our "C" interface.

My current solution is to queue up these callbacks from my "C" interface and
expose an "idle" method from the module.  Then in my main loop of my python
code, I call the "idle" method, and fake the calls to my Python specified
callbacks.

However this is going to get more complex in the future because of the way I
want to use this module.   I'd prefer to be able to install an IDLE function
which would get called from the main thread, frequently.

Is this possible, to do, without modifying the source of Python?