dynamic modules, bsdi, and zope

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 31 04:13:43 EST 1999

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 10:12:33PM +0000, R. David Murray wrote:

> Thomas Wouters helped me out with this by working through the
> differences between his BSDI 4.0.1 setup and mine.  He eventually
> figured out that I needed to recompile Python with dynamic modules
> enabled.  But to do that I needed a little voodo, which he provided:

> LDSHARED=       gcc -shared
> CCSHARED=       -fpic
> LINKFORSHARED=  -Xlinker -export-dynamic

> PS: Hopefully someone who really understands what's
> going on here can fix configure (or whatever) so this
> will work out of the box...

I know what they do, they send different options to the compiler and linker
during the compile ;) The trick is that before BSDI 4.0, BSDI used COFF
binaries, with ugly hacks to fake shared libraries (well, they're really
shared, just not really very dynamically linked) and an ugly hack gcc
wrapper (shlicc) to compile shared libraries.

BSDI 4.0 uses ELF, though, with genuine shared libraries (and there was much
rejoicement) and it's no longer necessary to use shlicc, unless you wish to
create COFF binaries for some reason. Configure doesn't know that,
apparently, but i dont know if that's a python problem or an autoconf
problem.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>