Multimethods 101 (was Re: Multiple dispatch (Re: Q: Python 2.0 preliminary features?))

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 07:30:54 EDT 1999

In article <381A421D.D8C8E22F at bigfoot.com>, Louis Madon
<madonl at bigfoot.com> writes

I'm a bit confused here after seeing the argument presented as a
function of only two types. Say I implement + for floats and then Tim
does it for rationals then in terms of functional mappings + has 2
inputs and one output ie 3 possible types are involved.

Thus my take is that we have

f  f  and r  r
 f +       r +

after the combination we have

f  f r and r f r

so to my way of thinking to fill in we seem to have to modify the
existing operators or provide the mapping f-->r or r-->f
--
Robin Becker