initialization of lists in classes

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Oct 15 04:14:26 EDT 1999

Balint Aradi <ab007 at hszk.bme.hu> wrote:
> I don't understand the mechanism behind that. Why is b.list initialized
> with the value of a.list? (Or why isn't b.float initialized with the value
> of a.float?)  I'm quite a newbie in Python, so this was probably a stupid
> question, but can anyone explain that to me?

and to give you some additional clues, look
carefully at the following two statements:

    self.list.append(1,2)
    self.float = self.float + 2.0

they're doing two entirely different things.
can you figure out how they differ?  (hint:
as you've seen, one is modifying an existing
object, one is not)

</F>

coming soon: