module namespace / free software question

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:54:02 EDT 1999

        I'm not sure the subject line is quite right, but I wasn't
sure how to fit this question onto a single line...

        Since discovering Python, I've written a few generally useful
tools (to Unix sysadmins anyway), and I try to make them public.  In
particular, PyKstat gets grabbed from by web page fairly regularly.

        In the process of writing all this software, I've accumulated
libraries to handle common things I do.  In particular, I have a few
standard classes -- ultimately derived from "Programming Python" -- to
handle GUI goo.

        My philosophical question: should I distribute these GUI
libraries separately, though I suspect strongly they're not terribly
general, or should I ship them off with every application I make
available?  At this point I'm almost tempted to create a package 'wsa'
(my initials) which everyone who wants my software has to install
first.  This seems a little roundabout.

        Or, am I being to paranoid about namespace pollution?  I'd
rather not stomp over site-packages without some expectation that I'm
not going to interfere with future code.

        [I just got distutils. I'm thrilled people are working on
this... it's the only feature I miss from that other P language.]

--
William Annis - System Administrator - Biomedical Computing Group
annis at biostat.wisc.edu                       PGP ID:1024/FBF64031