CGIHTTPServer

Eric Jacobs x at x.x
Fri Oct 15 23:07:56 EDT 1999

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Okay, I'm an idiot. On a couple of different occaisions I have needed to
> do some CGI prototoyping and I have found CGIServer. "Cool", I say. Then
> I try to get it working on Windows, changing things here and there until
> I realize (at "fork") that its hopeless. The experience is so annoying
> that I erase it from my brain until the next time. (or perhaps it isn't
> frustrating ENOUGH).

Actually, I've compiled Python using the Cygnus Win32 library and have
gotten os.fork() and other unix-like functions to work that way. The
library provides emulation of POSIX semantics; very little change to
the source code is necessary to use it.

In fact, Cygnus will compile as a generic Unix for the Python
distribution straight off. The only difficulty I had was when I wanted
to add support for Win32 .pyd's, etc. This required a lot of tweaking
of posixmodule.c and importdl.c, mostly because the ifdef's are keyed
on MS_WIN32 and relied on MS-specific extensions.

Has anyone else gotten Python to work on Cygnus?