DCOM servers in Python... how?

winkjj at my-deja.com winkjj at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 22 11:01:32 EDT 1999

In article <380DEF98.F09757A8 at bart.nl>,
  Richard Smol <rsmol at bart.nl> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> For a research project here I want to be able to prototype DCOM-
servers
> quickly. For this I am of course thinking of Python!
>
> Now I don't know that much about DCOM. I have been roaming through the
> Pythonwin COM documentation and wonder if it all also holds true for
> DCOM. The only DCOM example program I saw was for a client though.
What
> is the easiest way to implement a DCOM server then?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Greetz,
>
> RS

Hi Richard,

I just spend a day trying to get DCOM setup for some stuff I am working
on.  As it turns out, the security thing can bite you depending on the
operating system you are using.  If you are NT across the board, then
you should not have any major problems.  But, if you wish use a mixture
of NT and 95/98, then the security issue gets muddy.  In fact, for my
particular configuration, I couldn't get DCOM to work AT ALL from a 98
to NT machine.  This had to do with issues in my particular setup (you
can get is working), but the point is that the security models are
different between NT and 95/98, so depending on the setup, it could get
challenging.

So, I switched to the python implementation of CORBA and I am happy as
a peach now... :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.