Newbie need help

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Wed Oct 20 06:10:40 EDT 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Marco Guidi wrote:
> Why did I get the error
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named Common ?
>
> and Why could I import DocumentTemplate correctly ?

   Because DocumentTemplate is a Package, and App is not. You should read
python docs on packaging.

> Which is the correct way for importing a file residing in
> some directory different from the one from wich I run python
> (and different from Extensions or other predefined directories) ?

   Using builtin function __import__

> In the Python tutorial dowloaded from www.python.org I found no
> infos about this.

   As you are trying to do more descent things, you need more descent docs.
The python tutorial is what it is - just entry-level tutorial. There are
more docs on www.python.org/doc

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru