Q: Python 2.0 preliminary features?

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Sun Oct 17 15:25:24 EDT 1999

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:47:49 +1000, skaller wrote:

>lookup fails in Viper, lookup continues for a method in the type object
>of the object. For the standard Python types, including integers,
>the type object I'm using is a class. So you can write:

>	(1).abs()

This is totally orthogonal to your post, but I'm just curious: I like how
Dylan allows one to write the first argument of a function either as a
distinguished or ordinary paramter -- that is, "abs(1)" is the same as
"(1).abs()".

Can we do the same with Viper?

If so, can we also write function definitions with the same functionality,
as:

def self.__add__(addend)...

Of course, I'm about to ask for multiple dispatch, but since everyone who
even knows what multiple dispatch is already knew I was going to ask for
it...  So I won't bother asking.

(Or did Guido use his time machine to clip my request out of this post?
If so, help me foil this conspiracy by igniting the debate about multiple
dispatch!)

my-old-server-is-<fnord>down-ly y'rs,
--
-William "Billy" Tanksley