"What is the name of the function/method that called me?"

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Mon Oct 25 16:33:25 EDT 1999

Adrian Eyre <a.eyre at optichrome.com> writes:

> > I don't think Moshe was saying introspection is evil. I'd put it
> > this way: Python without double-underscore stuff is safe as
> > Mommy's milk.
>
> Not quite:
>
> l = []
> m = []
> l.append(l)
> m.append(m)
> l == m

Good point!

But we can solve *that* problem (and also eliminate the debate about
whether we need GC) by simply making assignments in Python "copy-on-write".

[ tongue planted 0.85-ly in cheek. ]

...though I do wonder how much of (the non-double-underscored) Python
code written would run under that assumption.... (It *would* be a step
further toward a language easier for non-programmers to grasp.)

--
-Jas