pickle->zlib->shelve

John Jensen john at ipro.com
Fri Oct 22 02:20:58 EDT 1999

On 20 Oct 99, at 8:48, Gordon McMillan said:

> I regularly use zlib on marshalled data. Works dandy, but for
> small objects (say 100 bytes or so), the zlib'ed version will
> actually be larger. The more data you compress in one shot,
> the better the compression ratio.

For some of our work we create what we term "dbgz" files -- compressed
marshalled objects.  Often these objects are hundreds of megabytes in
size (we deal with LOTS of data).  I've found it to be a reasonably
fast, simple, portable solution for this type of problem.

John
--
John Jensen     john at ipro.com   http://www.ipro.com
Research Manager, Internet Profiles Corporation