Is httpdapy ready for primetime?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Sun Oct 24 13:24:16 EDT 1999

erno at iki.fi (Erno Kuusela) writes:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:52:13 +0000 (GMT), Oleg Broytmann
> <phd at phd.russ.ru> wrote:

> >> it would not be easy or it would not become more popular? :)
> >
> >   It wouldn't be much more popular, IMHO.
>
> a lot of people seem to like mod_perl, and i think many its users like
> it precisely because of its speed. and the only way to speed is keeping
> the same interpreter around.
>
> maybe there is some other reason for the unpopularity of httpdapy
> than cgi-incompatibility, as suprisingly few people seem to use
> it. (or perhaps all its users are just very very quiet :) )

I've been reading this thread with interest.  In general, I like the
fact that httpdapy re-uses the same interpreter similarly to the way
that mod_perl does it, and for the types of applications I write, that
indeed is quite worthwhile.  I'd rather have that capability and then
do my own forks and execs when I really want to, than to be running
under the constraint where I could never re-use an existing
interpreter, as in PyApache.  And since I have a private site where I
do all the programming, API compatibiluty with CGI is not important to
me.

But YMMV.

And since we're discussing httpdapy, I'd also like to raise a related
issue: I have never been able to get httpdapy to properly install
under my particular Apache server set-up.  I'm wondering if there's
anyone who has been able to get httpdapy up and running under the
following configuration:

  Python 1.5.2
  Apache 1.3.9 with the following modules:
    mod_perl 1.21 (non-DSO)
    php4 (DSO)

I don't recall the specific error(s) I got, since it was a while since
the last time I tried this.  I seem to recall that the installation
procedure itself went OK, but the Apache server failed to start when
httpdapy was included.  I'll try the installation again in a while if
anyone wants to see the specific error(s).  In the mean time, does
anyone have any experience getting httpdapy working under a
configuration like mine?

And one more related question: does anyone know if httpdapy and
PyApache can co-exist within the same Apache server?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz at asfast.com