Q: Python 2.0 preliminary features?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Tue Oct 12 04:03:44 EDT 1999

skaller wrote:

> You do not need to make any decision. Just use the current 'global'
> declaration, this is what Viperi does.

That's a decision in itself, since it extends the
meaning of "global" in one of at least two different
ways.

My purpose in implementing the patch was to demonstrate
how lexical scoping could be done without introducing
intolerable memory management problems. If Guido ever
decides to adopt it, I'm happy to leave it up to him
to pick one of the several possible nonlocal declaration
syntaxes.

If I get another burst of enthusiasm I might implement
one of them myself. My personal inclination is to require
declaration of all variables, but I get the feeling that
would be just a bit too radical for many Pythoneers to
swallow...

Greg