Newbie question: files..

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Mon Oct 11 10:46:54 EDT 1999

In article <87hfjyxnkr.fsf at pc-hrvoje.srce.hr>,
Hrvoje Niksic  <hniksic at srce.hr> wrote:
>"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:
>
>> It isn't slower than Perl in my experience (the contrary) -- but then I use
>> Perl for the little bit of serious text-crunching and regexp-slinging that
>> comes up in my work.  Perl put extraordinary effort into implementing those
>> efficiently; outside of them, I find that Python is typically
>> faster.
>
>How do you measure that?  So far I haven't seen an example of Python
>code that would be faster than its Perl equivalent.
>
>> try-timing-a-program-with-bigints<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim
>
>Huh?

Try writing a program that computes 1000! (factorial) in Perl.  It's a
three-liner in Python, and probably runs faster, too.  Floating point
doesn't count, either.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)