A Python color syntax file for VIM

Alan Daniels daniels at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 3 22:10:01 EDT 1999

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 00:59:39 GMT, the infinitely wise Neil Schemenauer
(nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca) spoke forth to us, saying...

[snip...]
>IMHO, your version highlights too much stuff.

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm interested in. :=)

I was considering wether or not to make the highlighting of standard
builtin functions (dir, len, etc) and class methods (__init__, etc)
optional or not. Or maybe optional as in you need to explicitly
*enable* it.

>One of the major changes in this version is that function and
>class names are highlighted.  This is consistent with emacs and
>IDLE.

Good, I like this.

>There is also support for highlighting numbers but it is disabled
>by default.  I feel this hurts readability rather than helping
>it.  Why are numbers in code so special that we have to make them
>a different color?  Lots of other syntax files do this so I guess
>some people must like it.

This is something I like, since data shows up differently than code,
but like everything in a syntax file, its a preference. I put my
syntax file out there so that others might find it useful, since it
does take a little experimentation to get a VIM syntax file working
correctly. I didn't have any intention of working towards making mine
the default for VIM unless I got a lot of positive feedback.

--
Alan Daniels
daniels at mindspring.com
daniels at cc.gatech.edu