Is httpdapy ready for primetime?

Erno Kuusela erno at iki.fi
Sun Oct 24 09:22:11 EDT 1999

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:49:11 +0000 (GMT), Oleg Broytmann
<phd at phd.russ.ru> wrote:
>On 24 Oct 1999, Erno Kuusela wrote:
>> > What if you and I would get a server whoose
>> httpdapy and PyApache both require you to load a 3rd-party apache
>> module so to use either of them, you need the cooperation of
>> the sysadmin.
>
>   But in abscense of both modules I can run my CGIs without modification.
>And you cannoy run you CGIs - they require httpdapy.

yes. this is an advantage of PyApache. that is why i speculated about
the usefulness of a httpapy cgi emulator (which would allow python cgi
programs to be run unmodified) later in my post.

>> it would probably be quite easy to write something that emulates
>> cgi's transparently. perhaps httpdapy would become more popular
>> if something like this was included with it...
>
>   I don't think so.

it would not be easy or it would not become more popular? :)

i don't know about the popularity, but the implementation
would seem pretty straightforward to me:
make your emulator a handler for .py scripts in a directory.
then the emulator script could execfile the python cgi-script
after hook_stdout and build_cgi_env, and voila.

>If you want to compare with mod_perl - there are two
>advatntages of mod_python - it is speed (not memory - mod_perl is still
>memory hog) and ability to dive into apache's internals. Both httpdapy and
>PyApache should be extended to process apache internal requests.

i agree.

  -- erno

--
"The new Intel Linux Gigabit driver is great news for Linux
customers who need high speed connectivity to drive their