Porting fork() calls to NT

Glen Starchman glen at starmedia.net
Sun Oct 31 07:06:02 EST 1999

I am trying to port a monolithic web application server that runs in
tandem with Apache on a Solaris box to NT running IIS. The application
makes generous use of os.fork(), which NT does not support. Obviously I
do not want to simply comment out the fork() calls in the port. However,
it seems to me, from the hard time I spent at MS,that using MTS might be
a solution. The idea is to let MTS handle the creation of child
processes and to basically run the original app as an MTS component
(modified to remove the forks,of course).

Before I go down this path I would like to hear from other people that
have ported python code with os.fork() to NT... specifically code that
works with Apache and/or IIS.

Any comments, suggestions, etc... are very much appreciated...

Glen Starchman -- Starmedia Network
e:glen at starmedia.net
c:917.402.0497
p:212-791-5942