Finding out the OS distribution name

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Oct 22 08:29:59 EDT 1999

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Ok, here is my current version of the platform.py module. I would
> appreciate any hints to make it recognize even more platforms,
> distributions, OSes, etc.
>
> Especially some code for MacOS would be nice.
>
>         http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/platform.py
>
> To see if it works on your platform, simply run the script. It will
> then print something like:
>         Linux-2.2.10-i586-SuSE-6.2-i386
> or
>         Windows-95-4.00.950

I just uploaded a new version that now uses a function based API.
This avoids the long import time due the module scanning binaries
or spawning shells. The location is the same as above and running
the script still prints the above text to stdout except that
the libc check is now only done on Linux systems ... do *BSD and
others have the problem of two different libc's ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg