Better python interactive prompt

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 12:41:20 EDT 1999

ted.drain at jpl.nasa.gov (Ted Drain) writes:

> Hi all,
> Has anyone written a hack (I mean feature addition) to the python
> interactive prompt under UNIX?  I'm looking for features similar to the
> ones present in the GNU readline library:
>
> - Command history
> - Command line editing
> - etc, etc
>
> I may try to write this myself, but it means parsing the lines somewhat to
> handle the different indentation, prompting, etc.
>
> Thanks
> Ted

the time machine strikes again!

"import rlcompleter"-ly y'rs Michael

no really, hang on; you mean you *don't* get command line editing by
default? If you import rlcompleter you get completion but you should
get editing and history anyway. what platform's this?

If readline's installed, try compiling your own Python; make sure the
readline module's uncommented in Modules/Setup.

hth,
Michael