Making regular expressions more friendly

Ian Clarke I.Clarke at strs.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 11:50:28 EDT 1999

> check out ping's rxb.py module:
>
>     http://www.lfw.org/python/

This module is excellent.  If I had the power to do it, I would
encourage use of this in preference to the more conventional way of
writing regexps.  Just as few people would condone writing C code with
no whitespace formatting, I will now consider using the built-in method
bad programming practice, and would encourage others to do the same.

I wonder what the reaction would be on comp.lang.perl.misc if I made
this suggestion there?  (I suspect it would be the Usenet equivalent of
thermonuclear war - Perlers are very attached to their ability to
obfuscate code ;).

Ian.