Anyway to *SET* the date & time?

Benjamin Schollnick junkster at nospam.rochester.rr.com
Wed Oct 6 05:28:43 EDT 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 06:13:36, Jeff <jam at quark.emich.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 02:56:24AM +0000, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:
> > While looking through the Docs, I don't see any method to set the
> > local computers clock via python?
> >
> > Did I miss something, or is that actually "missing" from python??
> >
> > 		- Benjamin

> it's only missing because there (probably) isn't a clean way to do it across
> platforms. you could probably quite easily do it with a libc call in linux,
> but could you use that same code to do it in a win32 or os/2 or even BSD
> environment without a lot of headaches? probably not.

Makes sense.

> how badly do you need this functionality?

It's kinda a little pointless to run a time client and then have to
manually
set the time, you sort of loose the "millisecond" timing >weak grin<.

I am prepared to deal with this, I can have the client use the Sys
module
and make a system shell call to DATE & TIME, which will work
under both OS/2 & Windows.

It's annoying, but I can work around it for said platforms.  *nix, and

everything else are out of luck, since I don't know how to set their
clock,
but........ That's what modifying the source if for.

Honestly though, I think it's a semi long term gap that probably
should
be filled.  At least on a platform by platform basis.  After all
STRPTIME isn't
supported everywhere, why should TIME or DATE (or whatever they get
called).

			- Benjamin