Q: Python 2.0 preliminary features?

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Mon Oct 11 11:43:49 EDT 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 01:45:12 -0400, David Oppenheimer <davidopp at megsinet.net>
wrote:
>Alexander Williams wrote:
>>
>> I could accept this solution (though I'd rather spell 'nonlocal' as
>> '=:' as Dylan does, as it certainly makes sense in context).
>
>Who is Dylan?

Dylan (portmanteu of DYnamic LANguage) is a very slick language that
attempts to keep as many powerful Lisp-like features as possible while
still allowing separate compilation and fast binaries. Its semantics
are somewhat like Scheme plus the Common Lisp Object System, though
IMO it's even cleaner than either of those two alone.

You can find a free compiler at http://www.gwydiondylan.org. It's well
worth looking at because a lot of the features being mooted for Python
2.0 have already been implemented in Dylan, and it can give a good
sense of how other people approached the same problems.

Neel