is there a record separator? RS

greg andruk meowing at banet.net
Thu Oct 14 23:58:38 EDT 1999

Tom Culliton <culliton at clark.net> wrote:

> Thats the first part of the job done.  Another thing that made it a
> biggish task was the intent that it be supported for all the standard
> file like objects, such as StringIO, cStringIO, etc,

Yup, already been playing with those two, because choosing between
fast and capable was crazy-making stuff.

> I remember there being about a half dozen.

For some of them it's really just a matter of making the separator
attribute available and passing it through.  A bit o' grepping will
turn up the rest, I'm sure =)

> If you're interested you can used deja-news to dig up the original
> discussion with the details.

I'll try.  Anyone recall the approximate dates and/or subjects?

> To put words in Guido's mouth, my impression was that it would have
> to be uniformly available to be acceptable.

Figured as much.  Already stuffed a backward compatibility hook into
PyFile_GetLine() so that objects without a separator attribute don't
gag, but that's kind of icky.