Is httpdapy ready for primetime?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Sun Oct 24 15:48:01 EDT 1999

erno at iki.fi (Erno Kuusela) writes:

> On 24 Oct 1999 13:24:16 -0400, Lloyd Zusman <ljz at asfast.com> wrote:
> >I've been reading this thread with interest.  In general, I like the
> >fact that httpdapy re-uses the same interpreter similarly to the way
> >that mod_perl does it, and for the types of applications I write, that
> >indeed is quite worthwhile.  [ ... ]
>
> yes. any big python program is too slow with cgi. there are
> other solutions to this than httpdapy.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> then therre is fastcgi, which is a general mechanism for
> this, there is a fastcgi module for apache, and then
> there are fastcgi modules for eg perl and python. i
> think there is a c library too. see http://www.fastcgi.com
>
> i just found an interesting python fastcgi page:
> http://www.suxers.de/python/fcgi.htm
>
> [ ... ]

I tried this one after installing mod_fastcgi-2.2.2.  The function
within the `test.fcg' example program took a huge amount of time to
run, despite the fact that all it does is to print its arguments ...
and this is even when I commented out the call to `sleep' inside of
it.

Unless there's something I'm missing about the FastCGI installation,
this isn't very fast at all ... ???

> >[ ... ] I'm wondering if there's
> >anyone who has been able to get httpdapy up and running under the
> >following configuration:
> >
> >  Python 1.5.2
> >  Apache 1.3.9 with the following modules:
> >    mod_perl 1.21 (non-DSO)
> >    php4 (DSO)
> >

> i had troubles too, and ended up downgading my apache. no idea what the
> problem is - apache segfaulted when trying to invoke httpdapi.
>
> this occurred under the debian gnu/linux unstable version
> (potato). it works fine with stable.

I can't get it to work under RedHat Linux version 5.0 with my own
compilations of Python and Apache, which work just fine without
httpdapy.

Oh well ...

--
 Lloyd Zusman