Musings about Python syntax

Jason Stokes jstok at bluedog.apana.org.au
Tue Oct 19 20:05:08 EDT 1999

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:27:59 -0700, Jim Althoff <jima at aspectdv.com> wrote:

>At 07:03 PM 10/19/99 +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>>steve_allison at my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>>hey, what makes you think len(obj) is less object-
>>oriented than obj.len() ?  it's just syntax, you know.
>>

>But it IS less consistent syntax with not much advantage
>("del" is a different story).  So it would be very nice if
>I could write aList.len() if I prefer that to len(aList).

Experienced pythoners might correct me, but I believe Python's object model
is younger than its basic design.  Plus, Python has to balance the
consideration that many people do not wish to program in the object-oriented
manner.

Personally I prefer a completely consistent committment to object
orientation, like, say, Smalltalk, but horses for courses and all that.

Jason Stokes: jstok at bluedog.apana.org.au