Database exploration tools?

Dinu C. Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Oct 21 06:45:40 EDT 1999

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there is any "Database Explorer" tool
written in Python, with or without GUI, for Oracle or also
other databases?

I started to write a bare bones thing like this that cannot
do anything more right now, but generate ("report") table
descriptions and differences thereof (not quite finished)
for Oracle. The latter was the original motivation to get
started, by doing comparisons of databases of different
product releases, due to a lack of documentation...

This is what it is meant to accomplish (soon...):

# dbdiff.py  (likely to change)
#
# Describing Oracle database tables and diff's thereof.
#
# Features:
#   - Output in ASCII, HTML, PDF and LaTeX.
#   - Working on existing (installed) Oracle databases.
#   - Tested on Oracle 7.3.4 and Windows NT 4.
#   - Using mainly DCOracle and Piddle (for PDF) packages.
#   - Printing a report with table descriptions.
#   - Printing a report describing table differences.
#   - Filtering of table, column and attribute names.

Has something similar being done already? I'm just looking
at TOAD (http://www.toadsoft.com) and it seems tempting to
do something like this in Python... well, if the day had
72 hours, perhaps... ;-)

Well, I will put some anonymised sample output files on the
starship as soon as the code is just a bit cleaner as it is
right now (and the reports are a bit more complete)...

BTW, how much of a chance is there to make a simple explo-
ring tool database-independant (I'm just a bit familiar
with Oracle)?

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
Food for Echelon: Delta Force, SEAL, virtual, WASS, WID, Dolch,