Just like in our DNA...

Guido van Rossum guido at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Oct 6 12:40:54 EDT 1999

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> When I finally got the joke, I found it _so_ American-centric and _so_
> displaced, that it was not funny at all.  These people were imposing their
> non-sense on me, just for the narrow pleasure of laughing between themselves?
> I very vaguely remember that children do that at the start of adolescence.
> This humour was rather immature, and in my feeling, not very respectful.

Take it easy, François.  It's part of learning a culture.  It can be
fun.  I've been doing it for four years now, and there still are
tons of cultural references I don't get.  "Getting" a reference for me
is an enjoyable experience, not frustrating like you describe.

While we're on the subject: I still don't understand why a DNA
reference is considered objectionable marketing speak by some.  I've
never heard DNA references in marketing speak, I think.  In stupid
Sci-Fi movies, yes.  But marketing?  Must be another cultural think
I'm missing. :-)