Beginner asks question about Python on Linux

Mats Kronbladh mats.kronbladh at entra.se
Fri Oct 8 06:43:27 EDT 1999

stephen.allison at cenes.co.uk wrote:

> [...] What I want to know is
> if there is a way of getting the output of the grep straight into
> Python, so I won't have to use a temporary file.  I have since learned
> about killing all processes of a given name, so it's a bit academic,
> but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to do
> this, using either Python cleverness or some shell commands I'm not
> aware of.

I currently have host booted for NT, but I think this will work under
posix as well:

	C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32>d:\dev\python\python
	Python 1.5 (#0, Dec 30 1997, 23:24:20) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
	>>> import os
	>>> f = os.popen("dir c:\\")
	>>> f.readline()
	' Volume in drive C has no label.\012'
	>>> f.readline()
	' Volume Serial Number is 07CE-0C12\012'
	>>> f.readline()
	'\012'
	>>> f.close()

Try this, it might be just what your looking for...?

Regards,

/mk