Tkinter app 'freezes' when I use after_idle

Andrew Markebo andrew.markebo at telelogic.se
Fri Oct 29 03:23:24 EDT 1999

I am working on an Tkinter application that is supposed to fetch data
from the internet (wow!) (a deja-client).

So I have done myself a small module that by request (for example from
the Tkinter.after_idle) does select on a list of sockets, and if there
exists any data, fetches it, and if all data is received, calls a
callback.

It works.. except for that the application window freezes, except for
the parts that I update with info about what happens.. It seems as
thought tkinter doesn't take its time to update..

I have tried to do a after(100, after_idle, params) so it should let
tkinter do its stuff (or have I got something wrong here)?

What have I missed??

The code can be fetched from:
        http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/dejasearcher.zip

the readme.txt contains info about the files and problem.

        /andy