Minimum Python requirements? (was: Python for PDAs?)

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Tue Oct 12 16:05:03 EDT 1999

Robb Shecter:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a question along these lines.  I've been thinking about
> taking an old laptop and making it into a "Python-PDA".  I figure I'd
> put a bare linux load on it, a text editor, python, and nothing else.
> I'd write my own XML-based PDA software that uses the character mode.
>
> Any clue as to how much hard drive space I'd need?  I'd probably want
> to install an extra python package or two, like the xml parser.
>
> Also, how much RAM would I need to run a bare Linux (I'm guessing 2.5
> MB) plus a running python process (???MB).

Linux uses 4 MB RAM, Python uses - well, I guess about 5 MB Ram -, so you'll
need 4+5=9 MB RAM, so I'd take 12 (1*4+1*8) if I was you.

regards,
Gerrit.
--
linuxgames.nl.linux.org	 All about games on Linux in Dutch (under construction).
www.nl.linux.org	       The Dutch resource for Dutch Linux documentation.